Monday, January 31, 2011

Stockholm Syndrome

There are chains from the wall ending in opened shackles.  She's still sitting there, eying the open door.  Squatting in the dirt; she's been here for years.  She doesn't yet know she's free.

Stockholm Syndrome.  'The paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein the hostages express adulation and have positive feelings towards their captors that appear irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, essentially mistaking a lack of abuse from their captors as an act of kindness.'


You can find the entire theory of the subject of Stockholm Syndrome on Wikipedia.  


It's sad, and I hate to admit; I think I have it.


This morning I woke up with the alarm to make lunch for the teenager.  I could see that girl, squatting in the dirt.  Free from chains and the door wide open.  But unable, or unwilling to walk out into the free air of grace.  Have I so identified myself with the enemy that, even day after day of God's grace and His immense love, I still wander back to the prison and re-shackle myself to the wall of alcohol?


I hate even to think it!!  But I think the Holy Spirit gave me this vision, this idea, to show me.  That's who you've been; it's not who you are.  You are free. Understand that and walk away from the prison.  Walk out and come to Me.


We are free, but we must rise and walk; walk away from the enemy and walk to the One.  Away from the deceiver and to the arms of I AM.  I must do this.

2 comments:

  1. Jodi, you are a blessing. That's all I can say. Thank you so much. I love your blog and your honest transparency. Walk in freedom, my dear sister. Galatians 3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow!! Arabah!! I can't even begin to tell you how you've blessed ME!!

    ReplyDelete

My blog; my thoughts. And I know that my thoughts are not His thoughts, my ways are not His ways. But, occasionally, I hear from Him : )